Wednesday, August 26, 2009

the newgrass festival...part 2

Curtis Burch and Kenny Lee put together a fabulous lineup! I knew this was going to be good long before it happened....and it was even better than I thought. >g<
Day 1 opened with Larry Keel & Natural Bridge. I have seen/heard Larry many times over the years at various festivals, and dig his music. He has a wonderfully rough voice and a unique guitar style and he always has a great band put together.

Larry Keel & Natural Bridge leading off the festival....



Larry and his wife Jenny...



The Infamous Stringdusters followed Larry, and they are one of my favorite young bands...I am a big fan. I was hoping to visit a bit with Jesse Cobb, who I knew back when he was a teenager with his family band, but apparently they split the festival soon after playing; I'm sure to another gig somewhere. A very inventive, superb band....

The Infamous Stringdusters....



Jesse Cobb and Travis Book...



The Infamous Stringdusters and the Friday afternoon audience....



The Grascals were next on Friday, and they are one hot bluegrass band! I was enjoying their show when I noticed Mr. Bush making his way to the backstage, where he soon picked up his mandolin, indicating to me that the festival was about to get hotter!

The Grascals and Sam....



Sam and his buddy Danny Roberts having some mandolin fun...



Cadillac Sky followed the Grascals, and unfortunately I have no videos or photos of their performance. This was the first time hearing them for me, and while I didn't take to them at all at first, once I moved back farther and wasn't blasted by the music that in my mind was presented way too loud, I could see that if I gave them more time I may become more of a fan.

The Greencards closed Friday night and I am a big fan of theirs! Another one of those young hot bands that is always a pleasure to see and hear. And guess what? Sam also joined them for a few tunes and they made sure that everyone knew what a priviledge is it for them to have Sam join them. Again, unfortunately, I have no photos of them and Sammy...I was really having some camera/batteries issues goin' on at that time! I did manage to take a couple of decent photos of them before Sam joined them...



I'll work on the second day of the festival later....

Peace, David

No comments: