Wednesday, August 26, 2009

1st annual Newgrass Festival!

Back in March I regrettably came to the conclusion that I had to drop a couple of festivals from my schedule, as they were just not good for my business. (I have no clue why those two haven't been successful....and all the others have been.) It wasn't long after this decision that I received an email from a friend/patron, telling me of a new festival that I probably would be interested in....and she was right! I have since worked and become friends with Kenny Lee (Smith), the producer of the International Newgrass Festival...and it has been a hoot! When he told me in our first phone conversation that the festival is "all about Sam" (Bush), I knew that this was a festival for me! Kenny Lee is a longtime friend and bandmate of Sam's...I found out during the festival that actually Kenny Lee started the band Duckbutter back in the early 80s; more on them later.

Kenny Lee



And if this festival was "all about Sam", I should start with his contribution! He showed up on Friday, after telling Kenny Lee on Thursday night that he wanted to do some pickin' with friends....I was elated to hear this! On Friday afternoon he joined the Grascals on stage and tore it up Sammy-style, with a traditional-bluegrass taste. During his first solo the tears of joy were streaming down my cheeks....


Sammy tearin' it up, traditional-bluegrass style...



Sam and the Grascals....



Sam giggin' with his buddy; the John Cowan Band



Sam receiving accolades and proclamations from the county judge....Sam agreed to agree about anything the judge said. >g<



Sam and Byron during the Saturday night closer...



The Man was havin' a good time...



The encore...



Jammin' with Duckbutter...



Sam, John, and Kenny Lee....



Sam and Duckbutter drummer Jeff Jones....



Sam is The Man.....and it is fitting to hold a festival that is "all about Sam"! Thanks, Sammy, for your music and your attitude and your friendship.

Part 2 will be on the way later...

Peace, David

No comments: