Friday, August 28, 2009

newgrass festival....day 2

The second day of the festival started with a young band that I hadn't heard of, Act of Congress. They are from the state of Alabama, and feature a very progressive acoustic style and sound...they reminded me alot of Nickel Creek. They have one cd out, entitled "Declaration"..and I'm liking it! I do appreciate a band who writes all their own material....

A small sample of Act of Congress....





Next up was the IIIrd Tyme Out, a traditional kick-ass bluegrass band that I hadn't had the pleasure of seeing/hearing for too many years...for some strange reason we haven't crossed paths lately. Great pickin', great vocals, and great songs add up to a tasty set...



The next three bands featured the three Newgrass Revival boys and their own bands; starting with the Curtis Burch Band. Both Lynn and I had the pleasure of meeting and becoming friends with Curtis, who is both a fine musician and a fine man. He spends part of his time teaching music at a Kentucky college that offers a course in traditional music.

Dr. Dobro...





Then came Johnny C.! I have been amazed at the man's voice since I first heard it at the ol' Mole Lake Bluegrass Festival, near my home here in Wisconsin. I've been really diggin' his band of the last few years, which includes Shad Cobb, brother of Jesse and of course a former member of the Cobb Brothers. (many years ago...>g< I saw this family back when all the boys were barely teenagers back in the early 90s; they are natives of Wisconsin.)

The man can still wail...!



He added a mandolin picker...!



And then of course it was time for the closing set! Sammy stepped up to the plate, as they say in his baseball world, and knocked it out of the park.... I have never been disappointed with a Sam Bush show and really never expect to. The Man was on fire as usual...plus the fact that this festival was all about him, which I'm sure added a bit of spark. He had a great time on stage, going through some new songs that will be on his upcoming cd, lots of regular "Sammy" songs, some straight bluegrass, and a few old NGR songs when his buddy John joined him on stage. I liked it...>g<

Gettin' down...



Sam and Byron...



Spider John is my name, friends...



So---Day 2 finished with a bang! After Sam's set Lynn and I got to visit him and Lynn a bit; he always had lots of friends, fans, and family around who wanted his attention, and he did his best to accomodate. We went back to our campsite in a joyful mood and actually listened to a little campground jammin' before crashing in our tent. Sure was a full, magnificent day of music!

Peace, David

No comments: