Monday, August 4, 2008

greyfox 2008...part 2

It was a fantastic Greyfox dancin'ly!! I spent lots of time in the dance tent and was blessed with both the great dance music and the great dance there was lots of dancin' happenin' at the Main Stage; again, I didn't miss the Hill where it was a challenge to keep from dancin' down a hill when you weren't even trying to...>g<

Actually, the dancing started a couple of nights before the festival started. Lynn and I stopped by the office that night, and were delighted to be treated to the sound of dear friend Lisa pickin' her guitar and singin' like an angel. I requested a waltz tune and it took her about 10 seconds to break into a sweet waltz that Lynn and I took advantage of by waltzing around the office. It was a sweet and wonderful moment, the kind that can bring tears to eyes....

I attended some outrageous dance sets in the Dance Pavilion... On Thursday night I danced to the Red Stick Ramblers, and it simply doesn't get any better than that! (but there are some sets that were just as good, come to think about it...>g<) On Friday it was Adrienne Young and then Uncle Earl, plus at night it was Big Sandy & His Fly-Rite Boys that had me hoppin'. I had seen this group for the first time at Leaf last May, and knew that I couldn't miss their set! On Saturday it was again Adrienne Young, Uncle Earl, and for a night-time topper it was Red Knuckles!! I had many great partners during all of this dancin', but it was a real treat to notice the lovely Mary Burdette standing next to the dance floor during Red and so of course I took the opportunity to spin her around and around. Mary and I have waltzed a couple of times and waltzed once backstage at the Main Stage that same day, but this was the first time in all these years that we got to dance a few dances...the woman is usually WAY too busy during the festival to have time for the music. It was a special moment for me...Mary is one of the main cogs in that wonderful Greyfox staff and I admire her work and dedication to the Greyfox cause.

And getting together with my friend Kristin Andreassen on the dance floor was a hoot, as well! We also danced at the Main Stage...she is such a cute, talented, sweet young women and it's always a pleasure to visit with her. This was a rare Uncle Earl performance for this year...they are not doing many gigs this year, and I'm hoping that they get to do more in 2009.

This was the second year that we brought our grandson Alic to Greyfox. He's now 12 years old and is really a delight to have along. He works hard for the Dancin'Dave cause and it's not hard for me to keep him in good humor. He is quick with his mind, but I can still keep him guessing at times...>g< He was afraid that he wouldn't be able to come to Greyfox this year since he joined a junior baseball league for the first time this summer, but was estatic when he realized that his season ended just before we left for New York. His new-found love of the game was greatly accented when he and Lynn were able to attend a Yankee game at Yankee stadium (thanks to a customer of mine) before they flew home to Wisconsin after the festival. (I would have LOVED to have gone to the Stadium during this last year, but I had to hightail it down to Virginia and Floydfest...) Alic also had a grand time in the creek during the festival...what 12 year old wouldn't? And his favorite music was the Sammy set; he couldn't make it to the end, but he sure was diggin' it while he could! (he's a good boy...>g<)

What a festival! In blog #1 part of my praise for Mary Doub and her staff were cut off for no reason that I can fathom, so....thanks again, my friends, for helping to make yet another fantastic festival experience for me! You guys were faced with an almost unending list of challenges with the move to a new location, and in my mind you did a whale of a job.

Peace, David

No comments: